Sustainability needs educated citizens for responsible action and transformation of the present society. The project Promoting Relevant Education in Science for Sustainability (PRESS) invests in the capacity of HEIs to better educate teachers for education for sustainable development (ESD). The aim of the project is to install courses for teacher education in science with a focus on promoting ESD. Courses will be developed and implemented to allow partners to strengthen science teacher education with a focus on ESD. Responsible action in society needs participation skills which are (in our contemporary society) inseparably bound to self-determined coverage of media. For ESD, critical scientific media literacy and communication skills with societal stakeholders are suggested as important goals in education, in general and in science education in particular. That is why the PRESS courses on ESD will include a special focus on critical scientific media education and science communication skills to the wider public, both concerning traditional as well as digital/social media. Courses will also include training teachers for integrating school science learning with partners from businesses (SMEs/industry) and the wider public in small educational projects in connection to the non-formal educational arena.
- PRESS national meeting in GeorgiaFrom October 31st to November 1st PRESS partners in Georgia hold the national F2F meeting in Batumi. Partners from Ilia State University from Tbilisi and Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University discussed the development of the PRESS project, main ideas of the PRESS course and planned future activities.
- 1st PRESS implementation event in IndonesiaOn October 2–3, 2023, Prof Ingo Eilks taught at the Universitas Negeri Malang about education for sustainable development and the PRESS project. Overall more than 250 bachelor of science student teachers, and about 100 MEd- and PhD- students attended the sessions and learned about the comingimplementation of the PRESS-project at Universitas Negeri Malang. We welcomed … Weiterlesen: 1st PRESS implementation event in Indonesia
- PRESS Indonesian national meeting invites Prof. Ingo EilksOn October 2–4, PRESS partners hold their 2023 national f‑t‑f meeting in Malang, Indonesia. By proper planning of other commitments, Prof Ingo Eilks was onsite to see the progress of the project and intensively discuss the planning of the PRESS implementation in Indonesia. The partners also made anexcursion to the Indonesia Safari Park II Prigen … Weiterlesen: PRESS Indonesian national meeting invites Prof. Ingo Eilks
- PRESS Study tour in HelsinkiThe partner country PRESS members were invited for a three days study tour in Helsinki. Activities encompassed an excursion to a small island, Harakka, on the coast of Helsinki and the Harakka Nature Centre. Sessions also included learning about the LUMA centre Finland, a nationwide activity for non-formal science learning.
- PRESS kick-off meeting in BremenAll nine PRESS partners met at the University of Bremen to start the project. Intense discussions about the PRESS curriculum were initiated and plans for its implementation started.
- PRESS Study tour in BremenThe partner country PRESS members did a three days study tour in Bremen to learn about PRESS related activities in the University of Bremen, visit the Bremerhaven Climate House science center and to conduct workshop and lab sessions.
- First PRESS get together meetings onlineIn two first online meetings the PRESS consortium introduced each institution to one and another and first administrative issues for implementing the project were discussed.